Re: Fedora lifetime and stability

Strong wrote:
On 08 Nov 2007 10:47:35 -0500 DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I think that it might be a good idea to increase the time between Fedora releases and/or make the lifetime of every release at least 2-3 years.
That's what RHEL and CentOS are for.

Yes, but they use not so up-to-date software as F! Why not satisfy
Serguei Miridonov thought? What a mystery is there with the
lifetime/release period of F? Why some speak F needs shorter
lifetime/release period just to be on "edge"? - the thing I keep try to
find out not the first time.

Have people forgotten the fedoralegacy project so soon? That was the intent of the project, to port at least security fixes back to the early distributions. Labor intensive!

It would be nice if an FC release could be supported for security issues only for some reasonable length of time, maybe two years from iitial release? That's not forever, but it does allow people to actually *use* their computers for a while before taking another ride on the FC-current learning curve. I'm kind of making do with FC6 and a kernel.org kernel, but I know at some point I will have to upgrade or start maintaining some stuff myself.

There's no middle ground, CentOS is aimed at stability, FC at being near the cutting edge, and I just don't like admin on ubuntu, it's great to run "out of the box" but not as nice as FC to tweak a little.

As always, my opinions.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>