Re: Excessive bounces on this list

Simon Slater wrote:
On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 14:04 +0900, John Summerfield wrote:
How do I get that information?

Good luck.

Thanks, I'll check that out.  We got a call from Bigpond yesterday
selling a you-beaut superfast extra large download ADLS plan, 3 months
free with a free dinky router.  Have'nt heard much good about Bigpond,
but downloading F8 might be a good test for them in the 10 day no
obligation period. I forgot to ask about churning.

psst
Wanna buy some shares:-)

Check Telstra's pricing. Check how well Sol and Los Trios Amigos get along with the government. Check the plan to increase Sol's salary. Check the board's response to the recent AGM resolution opposing it.

Note to the world. Telstra is the major Australian telco, recently floated. It's boss's (Texan, I think) favourite pastimes are insisting the Trade Practices Act should not apply to it and fighting the government over regulation. AFAIK I can't have Telstra ADSL2 where I sit not (but I have it with Westnet who resells Optus) (Telstra owns the wire). 500 metres away I can't have ADSL at all. If I can't have ADSL2 from Telstra here, then I can't have more than 8 Mbits. OTOH my ADSL2 operates at about 1.2 Megabytes/sec.

This ridiculous situation arises because others (iiNet was the first, but Powertel and Optus do it too) install their own digital equipment in Telstra exchanges.

Oh, I'm in metropolitan Perth and I can see the city from my front verandah.

Two years ago, T was going to implement some long-range stuff to extend the reach of ADSL, but then decided not to, probably because it couldn't extort Optus, iiNet, Wesnet and the others.

To the best of my knowledge, this did not happen:
http://whirlpool.net.au/article.cfm?id=871&show=custom

Here's why I might not be able to have telstra ADSL2 here:
http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/communications/soa/Telstra-uncaps-ADSL-broadband/0,130061791,339272143,00.htm
If I can, it's because I don't have to, I can have (resold) Optus or Powertel. The "regulatory constraints" mean that T must wholesale the service to its competitors (T owns the wire).

http://www.tellthetruthtelstra.com.au/www/365/1001127/displayarticle/1002770.html

Probably the most farcical thing of all is that, when the govt called for tenders to provide a nation-wide high-speed broadband network, Telstra deliberately lodged a non-compliant tender, to that when it lost, it could sue the government.

How do I know this? It lost, it sued, and when the government used the judicial process to go fishing, it found internal Telstra documents to that effect, and they turned up in court.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait