Re: Network install FC7

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 15:01 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 15:55 +1030, Tim wrote:
> >> Tim:
> >> Craig White :
> >> I'd have thought so, but I was asking in case there was some bug in the
> >> newest install routine.

> >> It occurred to me that you could have some SELinux issues from that sort
> >> of thing, if the contexts aren't in place to allow HTTP serving of those
> >> files.
> >>
> >> I did a network install of FC7 ages ago, but I can't recall what
> >> protocol I used.  Whichever technique it was, I would have copied the
> >> files to a directory, I didn't use a loop mount, or serve out the ISO.
> > ----
> > if you serve out as NFS, you don't need to loop mount. You only serve
> > the iso's themselves via NFS
> >
> I think your terms "iso's" is the key, I used to export the tree with
> the contents of the CD releases of everything up to FC5, possible FC6,
> those distributions which came on CD. But now that the releases are
> DVD-only, the installer can't seem to cope with the exported single ISO
> image. Feel free to prove me wrong, if you can get a box to start
> install past the point where it tries to get "stage2.img" you will be
> past where I got using http or nfs export.
>
> Note that I was able to download the file with another machine using
> either protocol, and verified the success with an MD5sum to be sure it
> worked. The problem is with the install code, and I note that the
> access.log of the http server shows that it is looking for things in a
> "disk1/" directory, indicating the the install was moved from CD to DVD,
> but the install script doesn't seem to have been.
>
> Again, feel free to point out some mistake I'm making, I've done a
> *bunch* of machine with older distributions, and had no problem. And I
> tried both the boot.iso from the DVD and the Live-CD install, with
> stoppage at exactly the same point.
----
I wish that I could test out F7/F8 but I can see that it won't be
possible for me to do that.

I did install K12LTSP using that methodology but that was FC-6 and cd
based iso's

I am really geared up to install via http here as I run mrepo, and have
repository installation setups for fc6-i386, fc7-i386, fc7-x86_64,
fc7-ppc and am now downloading the DVD iso's for F8

In as much as I install - latest Dell Optiplex 320 with F7-x86_64
boot.iso via http...

linux install \
 method=http://my_mrepo_server/mrepo/fc7-x86_64/disc1 \
 ks=http://my_http_server/auto.config/ks-fc7-x86_64.cfg

I would expect that the NFS install should work as well but I simply
can't test it out until well into next week as my primary concern is
getting the various f8 local repository mirrors all functional and
installs/updates rockin.

Craig