Re: Network install FC7

Craig White wrote:
On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 15:55 +1030, Tim wrote:
Tim:
Which is it, FC 7 or 8?  The subject description is different from the
message, and which one you're actually doing might be able to pinpoint
the problem.
Craig White :
solution the same either way.
I'd have thought so, but I was asking in case there was some bug in the
newest install routine.

copy iso to system that has httpd running, loop mount in /var/www/html
path somewhere...good to go.

mkdir /var/www/html/FC8
mount -t iso /tmp/F-8-x86_64-DVD.iso /var/www/html/FC8

linux method=http://MY_WEB_SERVER/FC8/disc1
It occurred to me that you could have some SELinux issues from that sort
of thing, if the contexts aren't in place to allow HTTP serving of those
files.

I did a network install of FC7 ages ago, but I can't recall what
protocol I used.  Whichever technique it was, I would have copied the
files to a directory, I didn't use a loop mount, or serve out the ISO.
----
if you serve out as NFS, you don't need to loop mount. You only serve
the iso's themselves via NFS

I think your terms "iso's" is the key, I used to export the tree with the contents of the CD releases of everything up to FC5, possible FC6, those distributions which came on CD. But now that the releases are DVD-only, the installer can't seem to cope with the exported single ISO image. Feel free to prove me wrong, if you can get a box to start install past the point where it tries to get "stage2.img" you will be past where I got using http or nfs export.

Note that I was able to download the file with another machine using either protocol, and verified the success with an MD5sum to be sure it worked. The problem is with the install code, and I note that the access.log of the http server shows that it is looking for things in a "disk1/" directory, indicating the the install was moved from CD to DVD, but the install script doesn't seem to have been.

Again, feel free to point out some mistake I'm making, I've done a *bunch* of machine with older distributions, and had no problem. And I tried both the boot.iso from the DVD and the Live-CD install, with stoppage at exactly the same point.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>