Re: Fedora May Be Killing Your Laptop's Hard Drive?

On Wed, 2007-10-31 at 20:59 -0700, Konstantin Svist wrote:
> Also might help to check if you have laptop-tools package installed.
> It probably affects the HD a lot more than Fedora itself.

[root@suspishus ~]# rpm -q laptop-tools
package laptop-tools is not installed

[root@suspishus ~]# yum install laptop-tools
livna                     100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00
fedora                    100% |=========================| 2.1 kB    00:00
adobe-linux-i386          100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
updates                   100% |=========================| 2.3 kB    00:00
Setting up Install Process
Parsing package install arguments
No package laptop-tools available.
Nothing to do

[root@suspishus ~]# yum search laptop-tools
No Matches found

[root@suspishus ~]# yum search laptop
gkrellm.i386 : Multiple stacked system monitors in one process
thinkfinger-devel.i386 : Development package for thinkfinger
kdeutils-extras.i386 : Extras packages from KDEnetwork
gkrellm-themes.noarch : Themes for the GNU Krell Monitor
thinkfinger-devel.i386 : Development package for thinkfinger
apmd.i386 : Advanced Power Management (APM) BIOS utilities for laptops.
gkrellm.i386 : Multiple stacked system monitors in one process
gnome-applet-sensors.i386 : Gnome panel applet for hardware sensors
kdeutils-extras.i386 : Extras packages from KDEnetwork
intuitively.i386 : Automatic IP detection utility
netgo.i386 : Networking profile manager
gnome-applet-sensors.i386 : Gnome panel applet for hardware sensors

ifplugd.i386 : Detect and take action when an ethernet cable is unplugged
BackupPC.noarch : BackupPC - high-performance backup system
avahi.i386 : Local network service discovery
festvox-awb-arctic-hts.i386 : Scottish-accent US English male speaker "AWB" for Festival
wmacpi.i386 : Dockapp for laptop acpi/apm information
irda-utils.i386 : Utilities for infrared communication between devices

fnfx.i386 : Hotkey functions for Toshiba laptops
netgo.i386 : Networking profile manager
i8kutils.i386 : Dell laptop (Inspiron 8000 and others) SMM BIOS support tools
irda-utils.i386 : Utilities for infrared communication between devices
thinkfinger.i386 : A driver for the UPEK/SGS Thomson Microelectronics fingerprint reader
thinkfinger.i386 : A driver for the UPEK/SGS Thomson Microelectronics fingerprint reader
slmodem-alsa.i386 : ALSA Userspace application for several SmartLink softmodems.
spicctrl.i386 : Sony Vaio laptop SPIC control program
pop-before-smtp.noarch : Watch log for POP/IMAP auth, notify MTA to allow relay
avahi.i386 : Local network service discovery

gnome-applet-sensors.i386 : Gnome panel applet for hardware sensors
BackupPC.noarch : BackupPC - high-performance backup system
acpitool.i386 : A command line ACPI client for Linux

Nup, still no luck.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.