Re: send e-mail without use sendmail

Frank Cox wrote:

> That's true, but that's a "special case" that affects only dynamic IP addresses
> which could be worked around in any number of ways (ping remote host on an
> address change, or whatever) that still shouldn't require an actual domain name
> to deal with.

Wow, can you imagine having to set up all the work-arounds?  You have to
know too much about all of the possible end points.

> Not that there's anything wrong with having a real domain name (I think I have
> about a dozen now -- after you get the first one they seem to start
> multiplying); it's just that there seems to be no particularly good reason to
> require one for this purpose.

Well, email transport has been designed as a system that works for
individuals as well as corporations.  It was designed to make life easy.
Can you imagine looking in your outbound mail queue and seeing 14 stuck
messages all with different @some.IP.addresses?  How about when companies
that you communicate with change IP addresses?  Remember, it is a system
designed for all to use.  You've indicated a special case that you want for
some reason.  It is out of the norm to do that.