Re: nvidia

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
The difference is that closed source OS's rarely change their
driver interfaces, so it would be extremely unusual for
something that already works and I have put into production to
suddenly fail due to an update.
I find this an astonishing assertion. Surely the Linux kernel
interface changes reasonably often?
um ... no.  the kernel *internal* interfaces may change, but the
interface that is presented to the outside world is very stable.

http://lxr.linux.no/source/Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt

That's fine if you believe that the linux kernel will always include
every device driver, filesystem, and feature you'll ever want.
Don't ask me to join you in that leap of faith (or arrogance, or
whatever it is that makes you think interoperability is
unnecessary)...

what are you babbling about, les?  all i did was clarify the
distinction between the stability of the *internal* kernel interface
and that of the *external* kernel interface.  i said nothing
whatsoever about driver support or interoperability.

Errr, what? How can you say that the internal kernel interface does not relate to the drivers that use them?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx