Re: Network connection settings are diver stored in diver places of OS FS structure.

Strong wrote:
> I've found 3 places where information on my dial-up connections are
> stored up:
>
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices
> /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default

They should be the same, unless you have more then one profile in
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles. The configuration files in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices
should be links to the same file, and be the same as the files in
the active profile.

> They list the same device-configs but they are different as to their
> content. Thus, in one place, for the same connection, I have
> compression enabled, at another place for the same it is disabled. In
> one, idletimeout is set 1 min, at another - 120 min - all for the same
> connection.
>
> Thus, system-config-network shows one configuration, in reality, it
> does not work - because at another place the connection configuration
> differ.

If I understand it correctly, system-config-network will let you
edit profiles other then the active profile. But if you only have
the default profile, it should be editing the default profile.

> Mu questions are:
> 1. With which tool to configure the best in my upgraded FC6 to F7, and
> 2. Which configuration (those places of above mentioned) does wvdial
> use?
> 3. Why one info is not stored in one place, but in many, and differs?
>
> Big thanks.

wvdial has its own profile, stored in /etc/wvdial.conf if I remember
correctly. It is a command line application that lets you have
different profiles for different ISP's or other dialup services.

The profile in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp? and the
defaults set in /etc/ppp are used if you use ifup ppp? or the
network GUI to bring up the interface. kppp and wvdial use their own
configurations to bring up the interface. I know it is confusing,
but there is often more then one way to do the same thing in Linux.
One of the drawbacks of this is that configurations are not always
shared between the different tools. So you end up with the
information stored for each tool. The advantage is that you can have
each tool configured for specific use, and you launch the tool for
the job you are doing.

Now, as far as the different places off of /etc/sysconfig, you will
find the exact same file is more then one place as part of the
transition for one way of doing things to another. If you edit the
file in one place, the change should show up in the other. The
exception is if you use an editor that is not hard-link aware, and
saves by creating a new file, and then deleting the old one. The
config files in the /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles network trees
are so you can have more then one network setup for things like
laptops where you connect in different locations. Besides the
default subtree, you could have home, office, school, etc subtrees.

Mikkel