Network connection settings are diver stored in diver places of OS FS structure.

I've found 3 places where information on my dial-up connections are
stored up:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
/etc/sysconfig/networking/devices
/etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default

They list the same device-configs but they are different as to their
content. Thus, in one place, for the same connection, I have
compression enabled, at another place for the same it is disabled. In
one, idletimeout is set 1 min, at another - 120 min - all for the same
connection.

Thus, system-config-network shows one configuration, in reality, it
does not work - because at another place the connection configuration
differ.

Mu questions are:
1. With which tool to configure the best in my upgraded FC6 to F7, and
2. Which configuration (those places of above mentioned) does wvdial
use?
3. Why one info is not stored in one place, but in many, and differs?

Big thanks.