Re: Opening .rar files

On 10/29/07, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would love an open source program that does what RAR files do.  With
> the addition of PAR2 files, the RAR files or compressed files can be
> repaired.

> The problem is RAR is used heavily in usenet.  RAR is not only a
> compression tool but a splitter and a great archiving tool.
>
> FWIW, there is a rpm "par2cmdline" that generates and works with par2
> files.  This is part of Fedora.

>From what I have read about rar, all the rar pieces are simply one
archive that has been binary chopped up into n pieces. You can do that
with any archive with the "split" command and then "cat" them back
together. I have done that to chop up a large disk image to avoid the
2GB/file limit on FAT32 external backup drives:

dd if=/dev/partition_to_be_read_from | gzip -c \
| split -b 2000m - /mnt/usb/image_name.img.gz.

Then to combine them:

cat /mnt/usb/image_name.img.gz.* \
| gzip -dc | dd of=/dev/partition_to_be_written_to

/Mike