Re: Cut and paste behavior

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 07:20 -0700, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2007 at 08:42:57AM -0500, Chu Tan wrote:
> > Experiment: Open firefox, highlight something, paste it in evolution
> > using middle click, and it works. Close firefox, paste again using
> > middle click, and something else was pasted.
>
> Correct.  Firefox isn't running any more, thus no longer owns PRIMARY, so
> whatever is in PRIMARY *now* gets pasted.
>
> Since evolution is a GNOME application, without looking I'd imagine what's
> occurring is that since there is no PRIMARY selection any longer, it's
> pasting whatever's in CLIPBOARD.
>
> > Copying form Gedit to Evolution, the middle click approach exhibits the
> > same problem, whereas, the ctrl-c/v works even after Gedit is closed.
>
> Again, Gedit no longer owns PRIMARY, since it's no longer running.
>
> Regarding CLIPBOARD, they're both GNOME applications. :)
>
> Perhaps one of Fedora's GNOME packagers can step up and describe exactly
> how they've configured things.  Or you can always look at the X resources
> yourself.

Given what you have just said, this behavior is expected for the
left-middle mouse click method. The issue is that ctrl-c/v exhibits the
same behavior with some "gnome" apps.

After experimenting more, this happens with Evolution and Firefox.
Gedit, gnome-terminal works just fine in the way cut/paste(clipboard) is
handled.

I've also discovered that my firefox 2.0.0.3 is downloaded directly from
mozilla, which probably explains the incompatibility with clipboard.
Evolution 2.8.3 is installed through fc6 official packages.