Re: nvidia

Bruce Byfield wrote:
On Sun, 2007-28-10 at 13:58 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
For God's sake why is something that you can d/l from their web site in the USA be illegal in the USA? Why does it not meet the Fedora policy? Where can I read the policy?

Try the front page of the Fedora project. For more detail, see
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview

If your stating the intent of the policy is to diminish the availability of Fedora to new users then the policy needs to change.

The fact that, earlier this month, the Fedora marketing list was
considering adapting the slogan "Freedom is a feature" should tell you
something. Fedora's policy is to ship nothing that isn't free software
-- and drivers whose code is proprietary don't meet the definition, even
if they are free for the download.

This policy is such a cornerstone of Fedora that it is highly unlikely
to change.
Other distributions have different policies. If using the non-free
drivers provided by NVidia is a priority for you, then, with all
respect, perhaps you should look into them instead of using Fedora.

You didn't need to mention that I have a choice. I can change to Windows which due to it's cost includes what a person with my computer needs to work. Fedora does not and plans if your accurate to make it even harder for a user to use your free product. That sounds counter productive to me.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User