Re: can't read from a Ricoh SD (Secure Digital) card reader

Tim wrote:
I'd like to hear if anybody else suggests to do the same thing, as well,
before I install something from development.  But I wonder if just
identifying the part is going to be enough to make use of it.

Basically, what is in development on Tuesday, will be F8, so I don't think it's that scary. And the hwinfo, may only give names to those PCI-ids. It would be easy to revert to the original CD or repo's hwdata rpm.

The contents of hwdata: rpm -q --fileprovide hwdata
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
/usr/share/doc/hwdata-0.200
/usr/share/doc/hwdata-0.200/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/hwdata-0.200/LICENSE
/usr/share/hwdata
/usr/share/hwdata/MonitorsDB
/usr/share/hwdata/pci.ids
/usr/share/hwdata/upgradelist
/usr/share/hwdata/usb.ids
/usr/share/hwdata/videoaliases
/usr/share/hwdata/videodrivers

udev can also be updated independently.
Trying to update hal brings in about 80 f8 packages.
You could also install the devel kernel to check if that has additional capabilities - it's easy enough to select the f7 kernel if it is no go.

By the way, what ubuntu kernel version was running when it was detected OK ?

DaveT.