Re: can't read from a Ricoh SD (Secure Digital) card reader

Tim:
>> I have an Asus PRO31J F3JC laptop with a Ricoh SD card reader that
>> Fedora is slightly aware that it's in the computer, but doesn't actually
>> do anything with it.

David Timms:
> Is today F7 ? Updated ?

Today is Sunday...  ;-)  But yes, I'm running FC7, and have been so for
quite some time, and it has current packages installed, but no
development ones.  I'm a bit loathe to do that.

> The text info IINM comes pci.ids provided by hwinfo. On my F7 system
> that is:
> hwdata-0.200-1.fc7
> Build Date: Tue 10 Apr 2007

Same as what I have.

>   yum --enablerepo=development list hwdata
> shows:
> hwdata.noarch   0.207-1.fc8   development
>
> You might be able to get at least the correct message by updating to the
> soon to be F8 version. This doesn't try to bring in any other files.
>
> But I have an idea that udev / hal ? provide the actual mappings...

I'd like to hear if anybody else suggests to do the same thing, as well,
before I install something from development.  But I wonder if just
identifying the part is going to be enough to make use of it.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.9-91.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.