Re: Fedora without RPM?

On 10/26/07, Arthur Pemberton <pemboa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/26/07, Isaac Serafino <i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Serious dependency trouble and bloatware. Does Fedora have anything to
> > prevent that, like apt, urpmi, or portage?
>

> You not making sense.
>  - what serious dependency troubles are you having?

In the past, I ran into too many dependencies, cyclical dependencies,
and other problems. For an over-simplified example, package B requires
package A, which requires package B. More complicated problems can
include package contents, maybe like file A conflicts with library B
in package C...
RPM wouldn't recognize requirements I actually had installed from
other RPMs, as contents of other RPMs, or compiled from the source.
Because I hadn't installed them through RPM or through the "right" RPM
package (or just because of bugs in RPM's database?,)  RPM still
thought those were dependencies I didn't have.
Using "--force" probably just messes things up worse.
RPM even got broken because of conflicts with all of it's own dependencies.

There are even examples of such serious dependency problems with RPM
in very recent threads from other users in this same mailing list,
"Yum problem" and "Dependencies missing ??".

>  - what version of Fedora are you using? FC11?

I'm not currently using Fedora, but I'm trying to find out if it's the
Linux for me yet. I've used several RPM-based distros, RH 5.2,
Mandrake 8.1, and Caldera, in the past.

>  - what bloatware?

I think the RPM-based distributions, RPM dependency chains, and the
RPM program itself, have what I consider to be excessive hardware
requirements, as I'm a minimalist on a low budget.