Re: "Loading" Xwindows from the command line

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, John Bradley wrote:

Hi All,

Can someone please help me?

In my enthusiasm to clean up my system and remove some "unwanted" software, I've managed to disable Xwindows. It no longer starts automatically and I'm unable to start it from the command line.

There's data that I really need and can still see it using the command line, but I obviously need a GUI to access and use the data. I have backups, but they're not as current as I'd like.

All suggestions and advise will be greatly appreciated!

Feeling very stupid and sorry for myself...   :-(

"startx"

I set my system to initlevel 3 when I get a new distro and start by hand every time. Old habit when X was not as stable. (And new kernels would bjork the nvidia driver.)

--
Q: Why do programmers confuse Halloween and Christmas?
A: Because OCT 31 == DEC 25.