Re: Top Posting Question

Thus, Tim at Thu Oct 25 03:43:10 2007 inscribed:
> On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 17:16 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > However, when you google for e-mail etiquette you can't find a source
> > that recommends bottom posting. I am afraid this is a peculiarity of
> > fedora-list people.
>
> It's also called "usenet style quoting," which predates mailing lists.

Excellent example from http://lipas.uwasa.fi/~ts/http/quote.html

Where is the best place to put quoted text? Above or below my
comments?

   From an unknown origin:
     A: Top posters.

I see this apply to mailing lists as well, as the use of a mailing
list is much the same as a newsgroup. Only real difference is in the
propagation of content.

Two further quotes from the page:

<quote>
Adapted from an advisory posting by Bob Gootee: Answering above the
original message is called top posting. Sometimes also called the
Jeopardy style. Usenet is Q & A not A & Q. (The name obviously comes
from the game of Jeopardy, where the competitor is given the answer
before the question.)

A similar point from a posting by Tuomas Venhola: If you start with
your answer, it is a bit like telling the punch-line before giving the
background.
</quote>

Maybe the top-post proponents will understand the idea of usenet and
mailing list quoting preferences with that?

Cheers.

--
Anders Karlsson <anders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
All-Round Linux Tinkerer & RHCE