Re: BIOS problem?

Timothy Murphy wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:

Karl Larsen wrote:
   I have two hard drives in my computer. I have this F7 on a IDE hard
drive and while on this drive it is /dev/sda. No problem now but the
second drive is a Serial Cable type and it shows up as /dev/sdf.  No
problem with that either.

   It all falls apart when I use the Serial Cable hard drive. It becomes
/dev/sda and the IDE becomes /dev/sdb.

   I think the BIOS is doing this. Does anyone else have a similar
   problem?
I think it's not the BIOS. Linux generally ignores the BIOS for disks.
                              ^^^^^

I'm not sure this is strictly true.
I think grub decides which is hd(0), hd(1), etc, according to the BIOS.
          ^^^^
If you change the order of the disks in the BIOS
I think this alters the way grub sees the disks.

"grub" <> "Linux"

Karl was using Linux names, so I think he's not talking of grub.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait