Re: Grub Manual

Hi;

Best explanation yet.  If I can add ...
On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 11:15 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:

> They can't mesh other than by convention.  When updating the config,
> kernel, initrd, etc., files you are working with the OS (doesn't have to
> be linux) view of the filesystem and it's relative locations.  When grub
> boots, it only has the bios view of things and only sees one partition
> through the bios conventions.

Grub's job is to find partitions and file systems; not to use them.
Grub is so powerful exactly because it can find so many different kinds
of partitions/filesystems and load them and their kernels with their
various forms of init into memory.

To do that Grub needs its own generic file system (rudimentary though it
is) and it's own small kernel that allows it to operate on *any*
machine.  The manuals (although I agree they could have some basic (less
technical) explanations included) deal only with the GRUB file system
and kernel making no assumptions about the partitions/files/kernel(s)
that will eventually be loaded.

--
Regards Bill