Re: Grub Manual

On Friday 19 October 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Those things aren't really related to grub, which is why they aren't in
> the grub manual.  They are related to how a running fedora system finds
> the place from a linux perspective to make updates that grub will find
> on the next boot.  The reasons you have to get that part right don't
> have anything to do with grub itself, just conventions within fedora.

Is there perhaps a Fedora Wiki page on the Fedora boot process and on how to
fix or change things at this level?  Something that goes beyond the grub
manuals, which are too general for adequate use under any distribution (I've
played with this on F7 and ubuntu 7.04 both, and they do things very
differently; ubuntu, for instance, doesn't even have a grub.conf....)?

Something that describes the full boot up to the point of logging in would be
quite useful for troubleshooting why it broke.  Something that describes how
grub passes the boot off to the kernel, how (and why) the kernel starts nash,
what nash does, how nash does what it does, and how init gets control and
starts running rc.sysinit, what that does, and how the various /etc/init.d
scripts get called (Ubuntu does it differently; a Fedora-specific doc is
needed). Something that describes the contents of initrd, how to change those
contents (like you need to do when you need to change the driver for the root
filesystem's controller, if the controller's driver is modular).
A 'Fedora-Boot-HOWTO' if you will.

The man pages for each piece are pretty good, if incomplete, but I've not
found (doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, it just means I haven't found it)
a complete system overview that shows where each piece fits and how it does
its individual job in the context of the complete system.
--
Lamar Owen
Chief Information Officer