Re: KDE confusion under F7

Kevin Kofler wrote:
Dean S. Messing <deanm <at> sharplabs.com> writes:
How do I install the basic KDE packages for F7 that are minus all the
stuff that Fedora does to make KDE look like Gnome?  Have these been
folded into the distribution?

Yes, the packages have been merged, and Than Ngo (the KDE maintainer at Red Hat) and Rex Dieter (the kde-redhat project leader) are now working together on the official KDE packages for Fedora 7 and newer.

As for "all the stuff that Fedora does to make KDE look like Gnome", you've been related outdated and/or wrong information:

* The Red-Hat-specific code changes to make KDE work better with the rest of the distribution are something long past (with one exception: KDM in Fedora 7 is patched to support ConsoleKit; but you wouldn't want a KDE without that patch, it would mean hotplugging/inserting removable media would not be detected by KDE with the version of HAL in Fedora 7). KDE is supporting things like fontconfig out of the box now, so these are no longer Red-Hat-specific (and haven't been for years). And the goal of these patches was never to make KDE "look like GNOME", but to make it integrate properly into a modern distribution. There may have been bugs in some of those patches, but this doesn't mean Red Hat intentionally sabotaged KDE as has been frequently trolled at the time, they were just that: bugs. But that's completely irrelevant these days because these patches haven't been necessary nor included for years!

Where were you when NULL came out?

I installed it with KDE and Gnome, and found I had to look closely to tell the difference.

It was the immediate cause of my not upgrading past RHL 7.3, and a very talented and all-round good gent, Bero, left RH over it. He was responsible for KDE, he had his own website of extras for KDE (including advocacy stuff),it was he who added DVD burning to cdrecord, and I think it was he who made the first rescue disks.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait