Re: kde 3.5.8 for fc6?

Paul Lemmons wrote:
-------- Original Message  --------
Subject: kde 3.5.8 for fc6?
From: Olaf Mueller <daily-planet@xxxxxxxxx>
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: 10/18/2007 12:06 PM

Strong wrote:

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 18:53:39 +0200 Olaf Mueller
<daily-planet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
But using fedora for a desktop is laborious, that's my opinion.
I will have a look at the next upcoming linux desktop with long life
support. That means 3 years of silence, marvellous.
I ponder the same problem. Is there any idea on what will the linux
be?
The next kubuntu version, I belief April 2008, with long term support
for desktop, that mean 3 years.
It's a shame cause of fc6 is here running very stable as my desktop. It
recognizes all my hardware and everything performes just fine.

regards
Olaf

There are lots of distros out there. Fedora is just one of them. Each have a character that makes them unique and desirable. If you want stable, supported and static choose a distro that has those characteristics. CentOS comes to mind. If you are a junkie for the newest of everything, and three days without an update of something (even if it is something you never use) causes you to have the jitters, go with Fedora. If you like to pick and choose every detail and package and to spend hours listening to the fan in your laptop whine while you compile everything from scratch choose Gentoo. If you like stability and long cycles between major component updates choose Ed-X-K-Ubuntu. If you hate proprietary anything choose BSD.

If you hat proprietary anything, choose Debian. Debian's also good if you want long cycles (Debian hardly ever releases anything, there have only been two stable releases since RHL 7.3). If you want the latest, Debian Testing, and if you want bleeding edge, then SID.

Debian also has a fairly broad selection of packages: I have sitting on my pooter Debian 4.0r1 which comprises three DVDs.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait