Re: kde 3.5.8 for fc6?

Tim wrote:
Olaf Mueller:
The next kubuntu version, I belief April 2008, with long term support
for desktop, that mean 3 years.

Strong:
But I've heard it is not an rpm-based one, is it?

*Ubuntu is based upon Debian Linux, they have their own scheme of
things.  But, you can install some things from rpm files if you want to,
if you happened to have found something precompiled, for another distro,
that you wanted.

If you wanted to use precompiled packages, I'd say that Fedora and
Ubuntu are probably your best bet for having lots of things available
for you.

Ubuntu family is nice, but Debian supports all its software and has more of it.

I got a habit with the RH-ones since their 5-6 versions. And would use
fedora had it more period support. I don want centos as they lack
number of packages even that fedora has...

Check the third-party repos, and I think someone's building Fedora packages for RHEL.

There are some extra repos for CentOS, and you can compile other things.
Do you really want all that's on offer, though?  It may just seem better
because there's a large number of packages available, but if all the
core things that you want to use are there, that's the important thing.

One of the nice things about Debian is that if I ask "what's a good lightweight MTA " and someone answers "nullmailer," then
apt-get install nullmailer
probably gets it.

Or, I just bought a Creative Labs Zen Plus MP3 player.
summer@mail:~$ apt-cache search creative\ labs | sort
em8300 - Drivers for DXR3/Hollywood+ decoder cards
em8300-bin - Tools to setup DXR3/Hollywood+ decoder cards
em8300-headers - Kernel headers to access DXR3/Hollywood+ decoder cards
em8300-source - Kernel module for DXR3/Hollywood+ decoder cards (source)
gnomad2 - Manage a Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox
libnjb-dev - Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox library development files
libnjb0 - Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox library
libnjb1 - Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox library
libnjb1-dev - Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox library development files
libnjb1-doc - Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox library documentation
neutrino - GNOME shell for managing your Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox
summer@mail:~$

It's got the right software there.

--

Cheers