Re: Ipods

Rick Stevens wrote:
>> 1) Connected my ipod.  Hal detected and mounted it.
>
> I've done both...let Hal do it and manually mounted it myself.  Of
> course, as a mere mortal login, I can't mount it, "only root can do
> that".
>
> In either case, the damned thing mounts as root, not as me and has
> 755 permissions.  Grrrr!

Hmm, if hal doesn't mount it with the right permissions, that seems
like a bug in the hal rules.

>> 4) Clicked Ok and waited a minute.
>
> I've been waiting over 10 minutes now and only 10GB is used on mine.

Maybe it's spinning it's wheels thinking it may get write access if it
waits patiently? :)

> Again, this is an hfsplus iPod.  Could that have anything to do with
> it?

That does seem like the most obvious difference between your setup and
mine.

>> What happens if you manually mount the ipod without any spaces in
>> it?
>
> I get the "Media Device: failed to create lockfile on iPod mounted
> at /media/ipod: Read-only file system" popup.  I've tried both of
> these /etc/fstab entries:
>
> /dev/sdc3   /media/ipod  hfsplus defaults                     0 0
> /dev/sdc3   /media/ipod  hfsplus uid=rick,gid=rick,umask=000  0 0
>
> hfsplus doesn't grok either the "user" or "users" options, so root
> has to mount it.  That being said, performing "mount /dev/sdc3" as
> root, the only things that change are the user and mode.  The first
> line gives root:root and 755 modes, the second rick:rick and 777
> modes.

Weird.  With the wide open perms and ownership as rick, you still
can't write to the ipod?  Perhaps it's because the ipod partition is
journalized?  There's a little info on the Gentoo wiki site about
this:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_hfsplus#Disable_Journaling

> I'm really starting to think this is an hfsplus issue.  Nonetheless,
> it's damned annoying.

I can imagine.  I do know that I used an older 40GB black and white
ipod which was formatted as hfs+ for a little while.  I eventually
converted it to vfat so I could read it from a windows pc at my
brother's.  But it did work back then.  That was either FC2 or FC4.  I
think it was the former.

Show me a politician who does not lie through his teeth, and.....I'll
show you one who can't find his dentures.