Re: SELinux Understanding

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 19:35:17 +0200,
  Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just one last unreproducible problem. This time involving udev, and the
> ordering of video devices. My TV PCI card uses /dev/video0, and the USB
> webcam /dev/video1. At least that is the order in which I installed them (TV
> card first, and some time later the webcam) , and on non udev kernels they
> are ordered that way each time I bootup. The only proviso I put on this, is
> that the original kernel installed when I installed Fedora 7, is also a udev
> one, and unless it's just coincidence the video devices are always ordered
> correctly. The later udev using kernels are always hit and miss, and that's
> both on Fedora, and Debian installs. Sometimes the TV card is /dev/video0,
> sometimes it's /dev/video1, and the same for the webcam. It's a bit like
> throwing a slice of buttered bread up into to air, and seeing how it lands.
> Buttered side up? It's anybodies guess, and totally unreproducible. Murphy's
> law says it will always end up with the buttered side on the carpet.

You can make rules to create files based on the device IDs that may help
solve the problem you are having. You can probably use the device IDs or
the rule names to control which device gets which /dev/video? name if you
really need to use those specific names. I don't know enough about udev to
suggest specific solutions, just to suggest that there probably is a solution.