SELinux Understanding

While reading the man selinux I found the part that makes me think that this software may not be ready for a desktop user. Here it is:

FILE LABELING
All files, directories, devices ... have a security context/label asso- ciated with them. These context are stored in the extended attributes of the file system. Problems with SELinux often arise from the file system being mislabeled. This can be caused by booting the machine with a non selinux kernel. If you see an error message containing file_t, that is usually a good indicator that you have a serious problem with
      file system labeling.

The best way to relabel the file system is to create the flag file /.autorelabel and reboot. system-config-securitylevel, also has this capability. The restorcon/fixfiles commands are also available for
      relabeling files.

Now I have used some of these ideas today. The list suggested and I did. But this stuff is not the kind of thing a person not using Linux in business wants to know about.

Using all these fixes need your computer running and up so you can do them. But I guess you could come up in a rescue CD and do these commands if you remember them.

So why would a desktop user ever want to run SELinux :-)

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User