Re: 2.6.23 kernel

Res wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007, John Summerfield wrote:

So you don't copy over your '.config'? you spend 30 minutes each time re-inventing your wheel :) maybe you should be vanished back to winblows then, as you seem to like bloated vendor OS's/kernels you'll be right at home, then again, many people now days say Raleigh is Redmond so what does it matter.

Have you evaluated your savings in compiling your own kernel? Vendors' kernels may be comprehensive, but I doubt that they actually use more RAM than a self-compiled one does.

bloated kernels increase the probability of exploits

If someone gets close enough to use an otherwise-unused kernel module, the battle's already gone to the intruder.

My concern with building a kernel that's significantly different from the vendors' is that vendors' scripts make some assumptions, such as that one uses modules, such as that certain modules are available.

Well, thats why in slackware we dont have this problem, and on my last remaining fedora desktop boxes, they are so unlike what the distro was
it wouldnt be an issue, thres not a hell of a lot left.

Bye

--

Cheers
John