Re: 2.6.23 kernel

Res wrote:
On Sun, 14 Oct 2007, Kevin Kofler wrote:

Res <res <at> ausics.net> writes:
Yes it takes time, on my tiny desktop of p4 2.4g with only a measy 1 gig
ram, it takes a whole 12 mintues to build and install, wow if you cant
drag yourself away from the pc for 12 pissy little minutes, you seriously
have problems

The time it needs depends on the number of modules you pick (and the time you spend configuring to select exactly the modules you need is _your_ time, not

So you don't copy over your '.config'? you spend 30 minutes each time re-inventing your wheel :) maybe you should be vanished back to winblows then, as you seem to like bloated vendor OS's/kernels you'll be right at home, then again, many people now days say Raleigh is Redmond so what does it matter.

Have you evaluated your savings in compiling your own kernel? Vendors' kernels may be comprehensive, but I doubt that they actually use more RAM than a self-compiled one does.

My concern with building a kernel that's significantly different from the vendors' is that vendors' scripts make some assumptions, such as that one uses modules, such as that certain modules are available.

I will build a kernel if I must, but I prefer to use vendors' source where possible.

This is no place for rudeness, and it's wrong to assume everyone's computer facilities are as well-endowed as one's own.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait