Re: 2.6.23 kernel

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007, Kevin Kofler wrote:

Rohan Kulkarni <rohan.sjce <at> gmail.com> writes:
I will then download the 2.6.23 kernel from kernel.org and compile it
Thanks  -:)

Don't. Res is a known troll who hates all vendor patches, no matter how much
bugs they fix. Fedora kernels have patches which fix bugs, improve hardware
support (such as the latest wireless driver backports) and sometimes add
features (for example, if you want 2.6.23 for the Completely Fair Scheduler,
don't bother, you're already running it if you're on a Fedora 2.6.22 kernel!).

Compiling a kernel also requires experience (you have to know how to configure
it properly) and takes time.

Yes it takes time, on my tiny desktop of p4 2.4g with only a measy 1 gig ram, it takes a whole 12 mintues to build and install, wow if you cant drag yourself away from the pc for 12 pissy little minutes, you seriously have problems, you could even read email and do whatever in meantime if
you want, this isnt winshit, you can still do stuff whilst compiling
or dont they teach you that in fedora for dummies...

--

Cheers
Res

Slackware