[OT] PHP 5 and MySQL

Greetings!

The app I am trying to get working requires PHP interacting with MySQL.
The default install of PHP in Fedora being grater than 5, according to the
php docs and website, support for MySQL is lacking and it is advised that
I recompile PHP with appropriate option for the MySQL library that is on
my system.

My question is: is there an alternative to recompiling PHP? I would prefer
the  rpm/yum way of things, since I have never compiled PHP before.

The actual error is due to Apache, telling me that the fucntion
mysql_create() is undefined. Google pointed me to PHP documentation on the
web, and they say "recompile PHP if you want it". And I am really not akin
to do that, as it would create a bunch of maintenence problems afterwards,
I guess.

Any hope?

Btw, the actual app I am trying to install is www.aigaion.nl , if that is
important.