Re: GPL

> I've written various webapps commercially and on delivering the finished
> product I ask the client to install tomcat and mysql connector/J. Does
> this mean the webapp I have delivered needs to be under GPL?. I have
> always assumed this was not the case since I am not exactly deriving any
> code from tomcat or mysql.
> So now after following this thread, I am now confused.

No your webapp doesn't have to be under the GPL, just the other projects
you are using that touch mysql client libs AFAIUI, it sounds like that
would be mysql connector itself.

The GPL requirement can leak up into the PHP interpreter but it can't
leak any further.  That's because although your PHP scripts and setup
might direct PHP to talk to MySQL, but it could work as well with say
postgreSQL with minor fiddles.  So they can't claim that the existence
of your scripts are entirely predicated on MySQL or its client libs:
that's what they need to be able say to claim your scipt is a "derived
work" of the MySQL client libs without any real independent life of its own.

-Andy