Re: rpm and wget -c

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, Ric Moore wrote:

Wow, just played with the command rpm --showrc to see just what ftp'ish
command is used by rpm (and hence yum). I'm not easily finding that
info.

Stuck out here in the toolies, running a 56k modem at 28.8 because the
phone lines are all crappy this far from the central phone banks, can I
convince rpm (then yum) to "resume" the download, if my connection is
broken?? It's tough seeing a grown man cry here. I can spend over a
blooming hour or even TWO just getting the megabyte+ sized sqlight files
before I even get to dnloading a file. One burp and everything is
toast.

Been there, done that.  My solution was to maintain a local repository
(using createrepo, so no need to download the database files), using wget and rsync to copy down the .rpm files I wanted. You can
save lots of download time by getting the .src rpms, which are
generally smaller, especially if you install the debug versions of
libraries.

If I didn't need RH at work I'd be looking at Gentoo, which is built
around always compiling sources and seems to have more robust download
tools.

--
George N. White III  <aa056@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>