RE: the other side of wireless security

On Mon, 2007-10-08 at 08:07 -0400, Miner, Jonathan W (CSC) (US SSA)
wrote:

>         I've just been looking at possibly getting a laptop (a
> maddening
>         exercise, if there ever was one), and have been playing with a
> friend's
>         for a while, now.  One thing I haven't noticed are comments on
> the
>         security of the other side of the wireless connection, your
> side.  Does
>         the laptop treat connections made to its wireless interface in
> the same
>         manner as it would a wired connection?  Do the encryption
> schemes you
>         might use to connect to an access point work in the same way
> in the
>         reverse direction?
I am not sure what you are asking.. For wireless connections the WEP or
WPA encryptions work in both directions if you mean between the AP and
the local machine.

One amusing side note. The new Ubuntu (7.10) (and I am sorry that I am
fixated on Ubuntu these days) includes the program aircrack, whose only
purpose is to crack the WEP encryption of wireless connections in the
neighborhood. Will f8 be as accommodating, that is,include hacking tools
in the distribution.
We only acknowledge small faults in order to make it appear that we are
free from great ones. -- La Rouchefoucauld