Re: My machine != localhost.localdomain?

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 18:26 -0500, Gilbert Sebenste wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I hope someone can answer this...
>
> I had to swap out one of my machines this afternoon. Before I did that, I
> called it "localhost.localdomain", by default, in the
> system-config-network interface, and fixed an IP so that I could access
> the Internet.
>
> Well, when it came time to swap out the machine with one named
> something.etc.blah.edu, it now says in /var/log/messages that
> something.etc.blah.edu != localhost.localdomain. Did something not "take"
> when I renamed it? What files should I look in to find out? It's a warning
> message, but I want to get rid of that error message altogether.

The "HOSTNAME=" bit in /etc/sysconfig/network should reflect what you
want the machine to be named.

In /etc/hosts, you want (at least) the following two lines:

	127.0.0.1	localhost.localdomain localhost
	w.x.y.z		hostname.domain.com hostname

replacing "w.x.y.z" with the actual IP address of the machine and
"hostname.domain.com" and "hostname" with the appropriate data.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-   "Do you suffer from long-term memory loss?"  "I don't remember"  -
-                            -- Chumbawumba, "Amnesia" (TubThumping) -