Re: Moving F7

Hi Graig and Tim;

On Thu, 2007-09-27 at 01:18 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
> >     OK the disk is the new one. What modules are being talked about?
> > What is a module?
>
> If you look in /lib/modules/<kernel>/ you will find a collection of modules.
> You have to copy those as well as the kernel and initrd
> if you want the kernel to work on your new disk.
>
> A modules is essentially a piece of kernel code
> which has been hived off, and is only loaded if required.
> This allows the kernel to remain reasonably small.

At the risk of making people testy, this is the easy part.  There is
lots of stuff about how modules save memory.  There is lots of
information about how they are used in initrd.

I looked at them in /lib/modules/<kernel>/* (various and random files)
they *seem* to give addresses.  Is that what a module does?  Load
addresses for devices and/or device drivers so that the kernel can find
them.

To clarify, the question is not to challenge the usefulness of modules
but to uncover how they work visa vie drivers.  Or are they the same
thing as a driver?  Stuff I have read, sometimes seems sloppy about
distinguishing between drivers and modules if there is, in fact, a
distinction.

And, if the above is a mis-posed question, what is their job?  What
would be a proper question?
--
Regards Bill