Re: Internet traffic and Azureus -

On Tue, Sep 25, 2007 at 21:02:29 +1000,
  Res <res@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Andy Green wrote:
>
> you dont run an isp network do you, in fact youve nefver had anything to
> do with running of one have you :) I can tell because you have no factual
> grasp on reality on whats involved.
> If you think its a profitable business model to do a 1:1 for 70 bucks a
> month and flatline your conenction 24/7, then why dont you start your own
> ISP :) but, you have to only take on custoemrs like0mionded in other words
> you cant do what every otehr isp doesm and thats allow the ones paying teh
> same dollar as you but barely use 1G a month off-set your costs.

I think the real issue is that ISPs advertise that you can download as much
as you want (without explicitly stating it, but trying to give that impression)
and then get in a hissy fit when someone actually tries to do this. And the
worst ones won't even tell you what the limits are.

If ISPs were upfront on what their usage policy was and either enforced it
themselves or explained users they would need to make sure they didn't
stray outside of the usage policy (because implementing some network policies
on the ISP side might be too costly) then people could make better decisions
on which ISPs they wanted to do business with and which plans they wanted
to purchase.

There is also an issue with bumping people over to business lines when they
want to use saturate their usage and that is they usually get stuck paying
for an SLA that they don't really need.