Re: Internet traffic and Azureus -

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Frank Cox wrote:

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 17:41:21 +1000 (EST)
Res <res@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

but you wont be getting it at the prices you pay now,

Actually, you will probably get it for less than you pay now.

Check archives of Compuserve's rates from 1985 and compare them to today's ISP

I recall the days they used to charge 12 to 15 bux an hour, I guess thats why they never lasted over hear :)

packages.  Extrapolate from there...

problem is, the data costs here are so different to the US and Europe
so it wont be that different over here, our 2 primary tier 1's, connect to internconnect in the US, who rip us off completely compared to what they charge claiming the maint on the subm cables as the reason, then one of our tier 1's (telstra) rape us to the hilt anyway so its more of a reason for then to further screw us over, the second competitor (optus/singtel) are much cheaper and the quality is as good, but they also charge a lot more because of the interconencts they have to pay, we will never win over here, a few years ago when U.S ISP's were charged $1 p/GB, we were typcially seeing between $70 and $130 p/GB, and the charge was at least back then on backhaul as well, somthing which scummy tel$tra actually did not charge us for (amazingly) although they did bring in a charge on it towards the end if you had X utilisation over Y.

I'd love to be able to offer my customers a 1:1 contention but not in this millenium :)

--

Cheers
Res