Re: Setting up a file server for a diskless X-Terminal

Craig White wrote:

Easily of course, is always subjective
K12ltsp is as easy as any fedora install, since the other packages just come along for the ride. I'd recommend trying one under vmware (and you can boot a virtual vmware thin client from it too) just to see the configuration and setup scripts even if you don't end up using it.
----
actually, I'm sort of stuck doing almost that because I can't seem to
get older iMac's to work as thin clients on ltsp 4.2 and one of the guys
that helped with the Mac client utils says I need to look at what they
employed on k12ltsp so I'm downloading the ltsp-6-32-bit disc images
atm.

I suspect that if I end up going all out, I will probably use the ltsp-5
with ubuntu though - I just don't know for sure. In talking with ltsp-5
developers on irc, "they haven't implemented the os goodness for
RHEL/Fedora yet"

I think the eventual plan is to be able to install a normal distribution OS for any client you wish to boot to make it easier to run local apps and to maintain with updates. The current version has specially-compiled kernels and apps and only has versions for intel and ppc CPUs. The setup uses the MAC address range to detect Macs and boot the right kernel.