Re: Setting up a file server for a diskless X-Terminal

> >> I don't like the looks of K12LTSP. It seems to limit you to running FC5.
> >> I'd like to set this up with F8 when it comes out.
> >>
> >> Oh well. It looks like it is not possible to do what I want to do. At
> >> least not easily.
> > ----
> > my objection to k12ltsp is that it is a turnkey setup.
>
> You object to something that works as installed?  You can still break it
> if you like, just like any other fedora or Centos install - and there is
> no requirement to keep any of the canned/working configs.  A lot of
> people reconfigure to use a single nic and have set up load balancing
> among servers.
>
> > ltsp rides on whatever you have installed. Fedora though would require
> > using ltsp 4.2.x because ltsp 5.x is only ubuntu/debian at the moment
>
> There is a similar project called edubuntu that may eventually work out.
>   The people on the k12ltsp mailing list that are using both say that
> edubuntu is still rough around the edges - as you might expect from the
> comparative ages of the distributions.  The beta F7 k12ltsp version
> might be using ltsp 5.x (and that might be why it is not released
> yet...).  I think a lot people are using the one based on Centos 5.0 now.
>
> > The point of using ltsp is that it does all the heavy lifting for you
> > and in essence would give you exactly what you want (diskless
> > workstations) and the only difference is that you ***think*** you want
> > to do it in your own prescribed way. LTSP sets it all up as an NFS
> > server, thus you get the tftp bootup, then nfs mount the software (i.e.
> > the file server).
> >
> > Easily of course, is always subjective
>
> K12ltsp is as easy as any fedora install, since the other packages just
> come along for the ride.  I'd recommend trying one under vmware (and you
> can boot a virtual vmware thin client from it too) just to see the
> configuration and setup scripts even if you don't end up using it.
----
actually, I'm sort of stuck doing almost that because I can't seem to
get older iMac's to work as thin clients on ltsp 4.2 and one of the guys
that helped with the Mac client utils says I need to look at what they
employed on k12ltsp so I'm downloading the ltsp-6-32-bit disc images
atm.

I suspect that if I end up going all out, I will probably use the ltsp-5
with ubuntu though - I just don't know for sure. In talking with ltsp-5
developers on irc, "they haven't implemented the os goodness for
RHEL/Fedora yet"

Craig