Re: Serious question on thumb drives (was Re: Maybe a deal on flash drives)

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 12:25 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-09-16 at 08:54 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
> > Our problem is we keep calling this technology some old name. This
> > memory devise is called "Flash Memeory".
>
> "Flash RAM" *was* RAM that could be used very rapidly, an awful lot
> faster than other types, at the time.  That's an ancient computing term.
>
> These days we see the term "flash drives" which are a memory device that
> you plug in somewhere, typically USB, and you can write to it in a
> flash, compared to other types of drives.
>
> I think calling something a "USB Flash Drive" is fairly comprehensible,
> but simply referring to one as "flash memory" is a bit incoherent.

I have been around for a while, and never heard of high speed static
memory called "flash" in any form.  The term flash appeard with the
powered memory devices, and the flash has nothing to do with speed,
other than the fact that it does have the capability of being erased in
a mass method or flashed to zero.

	The high speed memory was always called high speed or VF for very fast.
It was mostly used for array processors, up to about 80Mhz or so (wasn't
that fast by today's standards), but there was a version that used a
very narrow voltage type of differential drive that had limited use, but
I no longer remember it's nomenclature, however I am pretty sure it was
not ever called flash.

	Do you have a link to this use of the term flash?  I'm always willing
to learn new things.

Regards,
Les H