Re: Serious question on thumb drives (was Re: Maybe a deal on flash drives)

On Mon, 2007-09-17 at 08:42 -0700, Les wrote:
> I have been around for a while, and never heard of high speed static
> memory called "flash" in any form.  The term flash appeard with the
> powered memory devices, and the flash has nothing to do with speed,
> other than the fact that it does have the capability of being erased
> in a mass method or flashed to zero.

I do not recall whether it was dynamic or static, though I suspect
static.  Flash RAM was used in things like time base correctors for
video production.  It was extremely fast, in comparison, to other types
of RAM for the day.  And it certainly wasn't all reset to zero in one
go, it was random-access read and write.

Perhaps Gene might step in and say what the USA called the high speed
memory in TBCs.  Over here, in Australia, Flash RAM was one of the
terms.

Which reminds me, I have a few photos he might be amused over, an Ampex
2" cart machine sitting in a metal wrecking yard.  ;-)

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.4-65.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.