Re: usb modem MultiTech MT5634ZBA-USB

Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> Mikkel and others,
>
> Thank you for your help and suggestions.  I had reviewed the above link
> but was not sure if it was applicable to Fedora since the devices it
> listed were in the format of:
>
> /dev/usb/ttyACM0
>
> and the devices I was able to list on Fedora were in the format of:
>
> /dev/usbdev1.1_ep00
>
> There is a pre-existing device of /dev/ttyACM0, but when I executed the
> command modprobe acm, acm module was not found.
>
> My lack of success in using the document of this link as well as others
> prompted me to send a note to everyone on the list with the hope that
> someone else had used usb modems.
>
> At this point I am still not sure where I should start.  It looks like
> acm is not a module in Fedora, does that mean I will not be able to use
> these usb modems?  I don't find the module present in CentOs 5.0 either.
>
> Thanks for your thoughts!!!
>
> Greg

If you have /dev/ACM0, then try using that. It sounds like the
module you need is already loaded. (It may have a different name
under the 2.6.x kernels.) I should have mentioned that the link is
slightly out of date. With Fedora and udev, you do NOT create device
nodes yourself. This is taken care of by udev at boot, or when the
device is plugged in.

Now, as far as the /dev/usbdev1.1_ep00 entries, they are more for
devices that do not create a specific device link. For example, you
can set the permissions needed for rebcom to access the USB attached
book reader even though it does not have a device or driver. (Rebcom
uses usblib to talk to it directly.)

One way to see if /dev/ACM0 is your modem would be to see if it is
only there when you have the modem plugged in. Or you could use a
program like minicom to talk to it, and see if it responds like a
modem. (You may have to run minicom as root, depending on the
permissions of /dev/ACM0.)

Mikkel