Re: Gnome-panel grief in F7 -- stray thought

On Sun, 09 Sep 2007 19:44:45 +0000, I Beartooth wrote:
[...]
> 	What the blazes is wrong? Is there some suicidial applet that
> takes the workspace switcher (and, it sometimes seems, the whole window-
> manager) down with it whenever it self-destructs? What can I do??

	I've just happened on a detail in another thread which may be
relevant. Someone replying to some question about scp points out a thing
I hadn't suspected, and am not sure what to make of; but it must be
relevant somehow.

	One Gianluca Cecchi points out, in a post dated this morning,

> gnu tar by default preserves symbolic links, afaik. tried on an fc6 and
> it is so.
> You have to force -h option when you create the archive to tell gnu tar
> to archive the file pointed to and not the link itself

	Now, what I know of symlinks would go in a gnat's eye. The reason
the fact is relevant is that my standard practice, on any clean install
(of which, remember, I've been reduced to several in the course of
fighting the problem in *this* thread) has been to do the following.

	I become root at /home, apply tar -czf (Note absence of -h) to
all of /btth; become root at /home on the machine with the clean install;
scp the tarball to it; chown it to btth, and untar it. (I then run pirut
to be reasonably all my usual apps are installed, and run yum clean all,
rpm --rebuilddb, updatedb, yum update, and then a reboot.)

	Almost everything works, time after time, and it saves one
helluva lot of tweaking; but I do get this switcher nastiness, always
against btth, at random intervals.

	If Mr./Ms. Cecchi is still right about the symlinks, I'm thinking
there must be some broken ones on my machines.

	Is there a way to do a mass repair, without knowing what and
where they are?

	Or am I/we (if others' problems resemble mine) going to have to
do yet another clean install, another whole vast mass of tweaks from
scratch instead of using the tarball, and then -- if whatever gods there
be, be kind -- make a new tarball with the -h switch, and do only tar -
czfh henceforth?

	If I/we do slog through the whole blasted nine yards, will it
work? Is it worth trying? I'm getting *very* tired of all this ...

Remember I know precious (very precious) little of what I am talking
about.