Re: FC7 still freezing during yum updates

On Sun, Sep 09, 2007 at 22:59:35 +0200,
  Michael Schwendt <mschwendt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 09/09/2007, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> >
> > There do appear to be some kernel problems relating to I/O deadlocks that
> > can be triggered by yum. However in my case, reboots have always temporarily
> > fixed the problem.
>
> Are such kernel bugs known in bugzilla already?
> Does it affect only recent kernels in F7? Is it fixed in F8 development?

I am seeing what appear to be I/O deadlocks in in F7. The symptons are a bit
different than I saw in FC5. (In FC5 the time to lock up was relatively
consistant for a particular machine, in F7 it seems more tied to heavy
disk/memory use.) I have a bug open about the issue for FC5 and have added
comments to some other bugs in Redhat's bugzilla.
I don't have the problem on my home machine, but that machine has a lot
more memory (the problem machines only have 512MB, my home machine as 2GB)
and a lot less disk activity (its not an email or web server).
I haven't tried F8 yet, as I don't have a convenient place to play with it
right now.