Re: Fedora philosophy (was ATI video comes out of the closet)

Ric Moore wrote:

Exactly, very well put. I think the point I made that Fedora could work
more on stability, user friendliness is Les's point. Slowing the pace
down a bit would not be a bad thing, especially if the release could be
beta tested and de-bugged more fully for the sake of both camps of
users, the gear-heads and the people that would rather just use their
computers as a viable tool. I'm in the latter camp and make no apologies
for it. I've had to wrestle with xine at least 5 time in two years to
make it do what it did successfully, before some update broke it.

I'm not asking for a general slowdown, just a split between things that will likely crash the machine when you change them and things that won't, which generally is the kernel/userland split, and no new kernel features should be attempted within a distro version's life - which is pretty quick in fedora anyway.

Personally I think it was a mistake for any distribution to ship the 2.6 kernel before an experimental 2.7 branch was started to keep the breakage away from their users - hence the bulk of my servers are still running a 2.4 kernel. Now that they have, Linus thinks its fine to try wild changes in what people are trying to use in production.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx