Re: ATI video comes out of the closet

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>
>> As far as having more then one version of an application installed
>> at a time, I can just picture the problems that would cause most
>> users.
>
> It wouldn't be a requirement.  And it would make Linux as difficult to
> use as a Mac...
>
>> You can ignore the package manager all together, and install one
>> version in the /usr/local or /opt tree after compiling it yourself.
>
> Of course, and I'd wager that virtually every developer does exactly
> that for himself, building and testing multiple versions at the same
> time for anything where it might make sense.  And then they ignore the
> reasons they had for doing that and package it so no one else can.
>
> But, are you really recommending that everyone who wants current apps
> and a stable kernel should install Centos and build all their apps from
> source in /usr/local?  Yes, it works, and yes I do some of that, but I
> don't think for a second that it is the right answer to this problem.

No - I am saying that if you want more then one version of an app
installed at the same time, then that is one way to do it. That was
the problem that I was addressing, but you took it out of context
and applied your own spin to it to make it look like I said
something I did not. But I guess if you can not refute the origional
statement, that is what you have to do.

I am also saying they should use one of the repo's that has more up
to date packages. If they can not find the package, then they should
get the spec file from the older version, and update it to use the
new version. It would be nice if they also provided the new RPM to
the repo. You know - giving something back to the community that is
providing the os in the first place.

Mikkel