Re: ATI video comes out of the closet

Chris Jones wrote:
Those are great for server apps that were feature complete ages ago but
not so great for desktops apps receiving a lot of current attention. By
next year the Firefox, OpenOffice, Evolution, etc. versions they include
will be way, way out of date instead of just slightly outdated like they
are now. Does firefox 1.5 sound current to anyone here? Would you want
to be stuck with it until the next Centos release?

You are asking for the impossible. Stability AND cutting edge at the same time. Yeah, right.

Well, what I really want is the ability to have more than one version of an application on my machine at a time so I can test the cutting edge version and take advantage of its features while being able to fall back to the old reliable release as needed, but that seems to be way too much to ask from the rpm/yum school of thought, particularly if they blindly track the FHS committee's arbitrary ideas about where files have to live. But, an application crash once in a while is easier to tolerate than not booting after an update, and I don't think it is unreasonable to want a stable kernel AND current apps. Firefox 2.x might still have a few bugs, but it probably won't crash my machine.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx