Re: Mystery of device names

Andy Green wrote:
>> But I am surprised that setting something like
>> "alias eth0 orinoco_cs" in /etc/modprobe.conf
>> is not enough to persuade the laptop to use eth0 for this card,
>> even after re-booting?
>
> Is it still surprising if e100 has already grabbed eth0?  If you
> blacklist e100 completely as a test
>
> install e100 /bin/true
>
> then you will have more luck if I understood it.

Thanks again.
I can't test your suggestion at the moment,
as my WiFi card _is_ finding eth0, as desired.

But what I don't quite understand about your comment is:
If the driver grabs eth0, why does the card not use this?
It's as though the driver and card had independent personalities,
with the card saying, "Boo to you, I want to use eth0"
and the driver saying, "Sorry, I've reserved that
for a very important client who may be eating there."

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366