Re: Mystery of device names

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> But I am surprised that setting something like
> "alias eth0 orinoco_cs" in /etc/modprobe.conf
> is not enough to persuade the laptop to use eth0 for this card,
> even after re-booting?

From my understanding, the alias in /etc/modprobe.conf controls what
module gets loaded when you try to load the device. For example, you
can use "modprobe eth0" instead of "modprobe orinoco_cs". It also
has causes the orinoco_cs module to be used when you try and bring
up eth0.

There is an example in the udev documentation about setting a
specific name for an interface.

Mikkel