Re: Installing Fedora7 in a VirtualPC2007 guest?

On Tue, 04 Sep 2007 07:42:24 +0200, Bo Berglund
<bo.berglund@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 21:54:58 -0600, Charles Curley
><charlescurley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 10:53:20PM +0200, Bo Berglund wrote:
>>> This is a more appropriate subject for the thread where I would like
>>> to get some advice on how to actually succeed in getting Fdora7 to run
>>> in a virtual machine under Microsoft VPC2007.
>>

>>> 1) VPC2007 emulates a Trio64 video card, but unfortunately not 100%.
>>> The 24 bit color depth mode is not supported unless the VESA driver is
>>> used. The S3 Trio64 driver's usage of 24 bit color breaks the display
>>> completely.
>>>
>>> 2) VPC2007 emulates the keyboard and mouse as PS/2 devices. THis was
>>> not a problem until recently when the Linux kernel acquired a bug of
>>> sorts when it does not recognize the PS/2 mouse out of the box. No
>>> mouse means no install...
>>
>>I don't use Microsoft products, including VPC2007, so this is a guess,
>>not a known working solution.
>>
>>To avoid both of these, I would try a text only installation. At the
>>end of installation, before rebooting, I would edit /etc/inittab to
>>come up in run level 3 (no X).
>>
>>You can then reboot, and use system-config-display to set up the
>>display. Once you have the display where you want it, and you are
>>comfortable that you can restart X multiple times, change the run
>>level to 5 if you like.
>>
>>You can always boot into run level 3 by appending " 3" to the command
>>line in grub.
>
>I modified the start options on the first boot by adding 3 to the list
>of parameters I used previously.
>THis brought up a character based set of screens that were much like
>the ones I had glimpsed behind the graphics mess on the graphics
>screens. :-)
>So I used these to continue the install through. When I was done
>Fedora started a sequence of commands on the black character screen
>and finally stopped at the screen I am currently on with a prompt:
>
>Fedora release 7 (Moonshine)
>Kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7 on an i686
>localhost login:
>
>THis did not happen in the graphics version, I seem to recall just
>this line there too but then Fedora automatically continued, now it
>just sits there.
>What am I supposed to do now? Remember that this is the very first
>boot after installing the files so there are no user accounts created
>yet for example. That is supposed to happen in the following screens.
>
>Seems that I got further in any case and maybe I am on to something...
>
>Do I log in as root maybe?

I tried login as root and got a # prompt.

Then tried system-config-display and X started and showed a config
screen where I could set the colors to thousands (corresponds to depth
16) and the screen to a Generic LCD panel with resolution 1024x768.
However, when I hit the OK button the panel disappeared and there was
only a blank black screen in front of me....

Only way out was a reset of the PC followed by a renewed boot with the
extra parameters but now without 3.

This brought me finally through it all without corruption and on to a
login screen where I could get into Fedora as root and add users etc.

I have yet to see how I can get the system to reboot without
interference with the extra parameters, though.

Question:
Is there some config app where the boot options can be set or do I
have to manually edit grub.conf???

Bo Berglund